Sunday, May 3, 2009

DV Eligible for $3.3 million in Recovery Funds

According to Pennsylvania's Web site that tracks funds from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, Delaware Valley School District is eligible for an estimated $3,369,046 broken down as follows:

Estimated Total Funding Amount
$3,369,046
Funding Targeted to Low-Income Students
$313,700
Special Education Funding
$1,026,300
Educational Technology Funding
$11,900
2009-10 State Basic Education Funding Formula Increase
$1,700,246
Fiscal Stabilization Grants
$316,900

How do you think this money can be spent in our district? In the coming days, we'll get some thoughts from our candidates. 

2 comments:

  1. The Basic Education Funds and others described above($3,369,046) are I believe, separate from the $718 billion ARRA federal (stimulus funds) given to PA and (hopefully)to be distributed to school districts over the next two years.

    Currently, our Governor and legislators are debating how to utilize the ARRA funds and how much to provide to schools and for what purpose. Talk has it that the Governor wants to replace the BEF funding sources (those mentioned above) with ARRA funds to free up BEF money for other needs in the state. Needless to say, this is causing a big stir.

    Anyway, until we learn of the Governor's intentions, it doesn't make sense to spend stimulus money before we even receive it or even know what we're allowed to do with it.

    This is my take on all this, but please bear with me as I try to understand this mess!

    Pam Lutfy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam, I know that you and Sue attended the Pennsylvania School Board Association's (PSBA's) legislative conference recently. I appreciate the information that you shared with the other DVSD directors and our administrators during the last board meeting. From what I read, I agree; we need to be very cautious about earmarking this money for new programs before we have the rules or the money.

    (BTW, I think you may have mistakenly noted above that there was 718 billion in ARRA funds, I know that you had told me there was 718 million a few times, and since the entire stimulus bill was about that much, I assume you just mis-stated this in your comment. Either way you point is the same, and well taken.)

    ReplyDelete