Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Our Youth’s Opinions Matter

Let me begin by thanking the Future of Pike County PAC for their endorsement. Earning and maintaining the respect of our young adults is important to me. Contrary to current school board director John Kupillas’ opinion, I believe our recent graduates do have much to contribute to our community and specifically our school district. Who better than the recent graduates to provide our school board with feedback regarding their high school experience? I will bring up a student issue each week hoping to hear from both current students and recent graduates; along with parents of both.

The first topic I would like to discuss is the AP exams/classes. There has been much discussion over the past few years regarding the AP classes. I pose the following questions:
1. Should a student taking an AP course be required to take the exam?
a. Currently the exam is not required, unless it is written into the curriculum.
2. Should the weighting of a student’s grade be based on whether or not the student takes the exam?
a. Currently the weighting is dependant on a student taking the exam.
3. Should the school pay for the exam?
a. Currently the school pays for exams if the student has a B+ average in the class.

To be honest I have not formed a strong opinion. My initial opinion is that the exam should be required, making question #2 a moot point, and that the school should pay for all exams. I would like to hear your opinion.

“Better to contribute than to criticize”

Chuck Pike

No comments:

Post a Comment